Monday, April 4, 2011

The Naparima Girl's Cookbook

A few weeks ago, a mysterious package arrived in the mail marked:  DO NOT OPEN UNTIL JUNE 7, 2011. Curious and ever the rule breaker, I opened it immediately. Out slid a colorful and glossy book and saw: The Naparima Girls' Cookbook. "Naparima," I said slowly. I knew that name - a school, wasn't it? Naparima Girls' High School? In Trinidad? Of course, its full name was The Naparima Girls' High School Cookbook. I knew it! I flipped slowly through the pages... endless recipes, familiar names jumping out at every turn - Accra, Buss Up Shot, Callaloo, Doubles - old friends I suddenly felt the need to catch up with. It turns out that all the cooking I'd grown up with, those dishes I dreamed of before and after visiting Trinidad, all were at my fingertips. An heirloom of sorts according to my dad, who was the mysterious sender. Three of my aunties had attended the school - of them one stayed to become a teacher while another became the Vice Principal. I looked at my kitchen and knew that it was in for a surprise. I mean, I didn't even have a rolling pin! So I ventured out to Western Beef supermarket, Manhattan's supplier of *most* things West Indian. I knew that I would need at least some simple base ingredients:

- Green Seasonings
- Pickapeppa Sauce 
- Chadon Beni (or Culantro)
- Ginger 
- Coconut Milk

I already had cumin and garlic, onions and brown sugar. That's right, first up: Stewed Chicken, Trinidad Style, with Paratha Roti (also known as Buss-Up-Shot). I began with making the roti. It was going to need "time to relax" on more than one occasion, so why not start there? Slowly but surely my flour became dough. I set it down for its first break and began on the chicken. I'd made stewed chicken in the past using the method in the book (whoo-hoo! one up for me!) and decided to give it a twist by adding the coconut milk, ginger and Pickapeppa sauce. By the time the chicken was getting happy in the caramel base, the dough was ready to get to work. After more back breaking kneading and rolling (and yet another break for the roti) I got my tawah (a round griddle) hot and smeared with margarine. Plop - sizzle - sigh - gasp. The dough bubbled! Yes! I remember this! Quickly  I grabbed a spatula and flipped like a pro. One down, three to go. My mind raced as I set down my roti as if I'd done it every day. What other foodie treasures lay ahead to be explored? I couldn't wait to begin this journey - discovering myself with the help of a family guide to deliciousness.... a journey to becoming a Naparima Girl in Manhattan.
Do Not Open Until June 7, 2011- Yeah, Right!
The book in it's former glory

Stewed Chicken Trinidad Style (N.G.C) 


Modified by Naparima Girl

1 1/2 lb chicken for stewing (most butchers/markets sell pre-cut packs for less than $3)
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1 onion, diced
4 Tbsp green seasoning
2 Tbsp black pepper
1 Tbsp garlic powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp salt
1 lemon, squeezed
1/4 cup brown sugar (light, dark or mixture of both)
pinch cinnamon
2 Tbsps Pickapeppa sauce
Oil for cooking (canola or corn)
2 cups water
1 cup chicken stock
1 can coconut milk (optional)
2 Tbsp grated fresh ginger
Cayenne pepper/ hot sauce to taste

Place chicken in a bowl with lemon juice and cold water while preparing the dough for Paratha Roti. <-- Recipe to be posted later, guys! 

When setting the dough to rest, continue preparing the chicken. Rinse chicken and dry on paper towels or clean cloth.
Combine garlic powder, cumin, black pepper, salt and season chicken thoroughly. Add green seasoning and minced garlic. Cover and set aside for 30 min. In a large pot, heat two tablespoons of oil. Add brown sugar. Let the sugar brown and caramelize, but be sure not to burn it - don't worry, if you do, you'll know by the smell!! Once the sugar is liquid and dark, add the chicken, skin down. Scrape in all extra seasoning and garlic. Let chicken simmer on medium heat until browned, then flip and let cook until liquid is almost gone.

Just before the flip

Add 1 cup water, chicken stock and onions. Cover and cook on low heat, 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally. The liquid should be reduced - now add Pickapeppa sauce and coconut milk (or 1 cup of water if going without), stirring thoroughly. Add ginger, hot sauce/cayenne, and cinnamon after 15 minutes. Let the stew simmer for another 20 minutes, checking tenderness of the chicken. The stew should be dark brown and the chicken easily separated from the bone. Taste and adjust salt/pepper/hot sauce quotient. 

Serve with rice and peas, or white rice, with sauteed cabbage/mixed vegetables.  

Note: *The longer simmered, the better stew.*

Note: *Add frozen/fresh pigeon peas (gandules)/potatoes to this stew for more heartiness)


Cabbage
1/2 head cabbage
1/2 onion, diced
1/2 green pepper, diced
Oil for cooking
Salt and Pepper to taste
* add shredded carrots to this if desired.

Slice cabbage lengthwise (like shredded lettuce). Toss with salt, put aside. Saute onion and peppers until onions are translucent. Add cabbage and black pepper. Stirring or using tongs to toss, cook cabbage (and carrots)  until limp but still colorful.








No comments:

Post a Comment